NYTimes author Jenna Wortham has a great article today about how Apple has changed the game in the mobile app space. The momentum is amazing, and it's not stopping anytime soon.
The whole article is worth a read...here a are a few nuggets of facts:
- Apple has over 100,000 apps in the App Store today (there are 14,000 for the Android, Blackberry has 3,000, Palm has 500 for the Pre webOS platform, Microsoft has 800 in their Marketplace)
- Apple receives over 10,000 application submissions each week (that doesn't really jibe with the total number of apps...this may include updates? or are there many apps that don't make it through? or are there many more than 100,000 apps out there today?)
- Apple keeps 30 percent of the revenue earned by any App Store program (wow!), the rest is kept by the developer
- Apple says it has sold 50 million iPhones and iPod Touches
- Analysts estimate that the App Store generates as much as $1B in revenue for Apple and its developers